Sign In
Skip to content

Division of Juvenile Justice Grievance Procedure

If you have a complaint concerning an action or inaction by the Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) that you are not able to resolve informally, you have a right to access the formal grievance process. DJJ aims to treat every youth, family, and victim served with dignity, respect, and with consideration to their cultural values. The grievance procedure is a formal way to ensure your concerns are heard and addressed.

Before filling out the grievance form, please review the information below and DJJ Policy 8.6 Grievance Procedure to ensure the grievance procedure applies to your complaint and is right for you. The DJJ grievance procedure is governed by The Alaska Administrative code under regulations 7 AAC 54.245-250 and the procedure is not available in the following situations:

    1. Residents in DJJ’s treatment and detention facilities. Residents have a facility grievance procedure that is available to them.

    2. A state employee unless the employee is also a client of the department, a client's parent or guardian, or a service provider for the department;

    3. Address contract service disputes, appeal late payments, or to contest foster care rates paid;

    4. Complain of a child placement or child removal decision of the department as a result of intervention under AS 47.12 Delinquent Minors;

    5. Appeal a decision regarding grant programs that may be appealed under 7 AAC 78.310;

    6. Appeal a decision regarding civil rights actions covered under the department's civil rights complaint procedures;

    7. Appeal a decision or action taken by the department that is reviewable by the court under AS 47.12 Delinquent Minors or AS 47.14 Juvenile Programs and Institutions;

    8. Initiate, against personnel, complaints that are subject to AS 39.25 (State Personnel Act);

    9. An individual restricted from receiving information about a juvenile case under 7 AAC 54.300 - 7 AAC 54.450 and 7 AAC 54.900 regarding confidentiality of juvenile records; or

    10. Grieve a decision, action, or inaction taken by the department if the time that has passed since that decision, action, or inaction occurred exceeds the shorter of the following periods: (A) six months after the grievant had actual notice of the decision, action, or inaction; (B) three years, regardless of whether or when the grievant had actual notice of the decision, action, or inaction.

Completed grievance forms can be submitted to the supervisor of the subject of your grievance or sent through email to the DJJ general inbox at